April 25, 2019
New Packages for Indigo 2019-04-25

@tfoote wrote:

We’re happy to announce 20 updated packages for Indigo. This is planned to be the penultimate sync for Indigo as both it and Ubuntu Trusty are approaching their EOL.

Thank you to everyone who as contributed to this sync. Full details are below.

Package Updates for indigo

Added Packages [0]:

Updated Packages [20]:

Removed Packages [0]:

Thanks to all ROS maintainers who make packages available to the ROS community. The above list of packages was made possible by the work of the following maintainers:

  • Alexander W. Winkler
  • Fabien Spindler
  • P. J. Reed
  • Philipp Schillinger

Posts: 1

Participants: 1

Read full topic

by @tfoote Tully Foote on April 25, 2019 04:57 PM

MoveIt 1.0 Survey

@davetcoleman wrote:

Now that MoveIt 1.0 is officially released, we are polling the community of MoveIt users to get feedback about MoveIt. How easy it is to setup/use? What features are popular? What new features users would like to see in MoveIt? This survey should take less than 5 minutes to fill out. This form will stay open until May 15th. We will share the results after all the results are gathered.

MoveIt Survey

Thanks!

Posts: 1

Participants: 1

Read full topic

by @davetcoleman Dave Coleman on April 25, 2019 04:05 PM

April 24, 2019
New packages for Melodic 2019-04-24

@clalancette wrote:

We’re happy to announce the next update for ROS Melodic. We have 64 new packages as well as 78 updated packages.

Full details are below.

Package Updates for melodic

Added Packages [64]:

Updated Packages [78]:

Removed Packages [0]:

Thanks to all ROS maintainers who make packages available to the ROS community. The above list of packages was made possible by the work of the following maintainers:

  • AWS RoboMaker
  • Alex Moriarty
  • AlexV
  • Alexander Carballo
  • Alexander Gutenkunst
  • Alexander Sherikov
  • Alexander W. Winkler
  • Austin Hendrix
  • AutonomouStuff Software Development Team
  • Bence Magyar
  • Carnegie Robotics
  • Chad Rockey
  • Christopher Berner
  • Daniel Stonier
  • Dave Coleman
  • Davide Faconti
  • Devon Ash
  • Dongwook Lee
  • Fabien Spindler
  • Hans-Joachim Krauch
  • Jannik Abbenseth
  • Jose Luis
  • Jose Luis Blanco Claraco
  • Jose-Luis Blanco-Claraco
  • Kei Okada
  • Markus Bader
  • Masaru Morita
  • Mike Purvis
  • Musa Morena Marcusso Manhaes
  • Nikos Koukis
  • Philipp Schillinger
  • Pilz GmbH and Co. KG
  • RDaneelOlivaw
  • ROS Orphaned Package Maintainers
  • Rein Appeldoorn
  • Ronald Ensing
  • Russell Toris
  • Sachin Chitta
  • Sebastian Kasperski
  • Vincent Rousseau
  • Vladimir Ermakov
  • Vladislav Tananaev
  • Yoshito Okada

Posts: 1

Participants: 1

Read full topic

by @clalancette Chris on April 24, 2019 01:28 PM

April 23, 2019
Wanted: ROS assistance in Portland, OR

@tomsepe wrote:

I’ve been teaching myself ROS over the last couple months but I could really use a collaborator or at least some guidance for an upcoming project with a September 2019 deadline.

This would be for a interactive humanoid robot (non-walking) using Dynamixel PRO servos.

Knowledge of Python is required and Bonus if you are familiar with Blender3D and/or Touchdesigner.

Thanks

Tom Sepe

Posts: 1

Participants: 1

Read full topic

by @tomsepe Tom Sepe on April 23, 2019 02:47 PM

Stereolabs announces the new ZED SDK v2.8

@Myzhar wrote:

The new ZED SDK 2.8 brings Network Streaming, Point Cloud Scanning, and a new ROS2 Wrapper

A full list of the new features is available on the Stereolabs blog:

Posts: 1

Participants: 1

Read full topic

by @Myzhar Walter Lucetti on April 23, 2019 02:21 PM

April 22, 2019
ROSCon 2019 Diversity Scholarships: Applications Open

@chapulina wrote:

The ROSCon 2019 organizing committee aims for ROSCon to represent the entire ROS community, which is diverse and global. In addition to promoting technology that is open source, we strive to ensure that our community is as open and accessible as possible. Inclusion and diversity benefit the ROS ecosystem as a whole.

Whoever you are, whatever you do, and wherever you do it, if you’re interested in ROS, then we want you to join us at ROSCon in Macau October 31st – November 1st. To help reduce financial barriers to conference attendance, the ROSCon organizing committee is offering a number of scholarships to members of traditionally underrepresented groups in the robotics community. Thanks to the support of the program’s sponsors, each scholarship includes one complimentary conference registration and three nights’ accommodation shared with another recipient*. Limited travel support is available for participants whose travel to the conference would otherwise be infeasible**. Please note that all other expenses (including any visa requirements) will be the responsibility of the participant.

*To maximize the impact of scholarship funds, scholarship recipients will be asked to share a room with another recipient. Under special circumstances alternative arrangements can be accommodated.

**Participants will be responsible for covering their travel expenses up front, as the travel support will be provided after the conference has been attended.

Eligibility

We invite applications from members of groups that have been traditionally underrepresented in the robotics community, including but not limited to: women, people in LGBTQIA communities, people with disabilities, people from racial and/or ethnic minorities in the robotics community, and people from developing nations who may not otherwise be able to attend ROSCon.

Previous ROSCon Diversity Scholarship recipients are not eligible to re-apply.

We are proud to share this feedback from past participants of the Diversity Program.

The ROSCon Diversity Scholarship Program provided me with an opportunity that would have been completely impossible without it. I was able to attend my first robotics conference and feel empowered to keep working to try and make a positive impact on this community. Also, it was very encouraging to see so many companies stepping up to promote and enable diversity within their companies and the robotics community. Thank you!

ROSCon 2017 scholarship participant

ROSCon has been an incredible experience. It is really encouraging to see that everyone in the robotics community is really welcoming and willing to share their expertise. I learned a lot and I met incredible people. This experience inspired and motivated me to contribute more to the robotics community and make a positive impact.

ROSCon 2018 scholarship participant

We also have a blog post of the 2017 Diversity Program.

Sponsors

The ROSCon 2019 Diversity Program is made possible with generous support from the following sponsors:

Acutronic Robotics

Apex.AI

Autoware

Centre for Healthcare Assistive & Robotics Technology

Changi General Hospital

Locus Robotics

Tier IV

If your organization is interested in getting involved in the Diversity Program, please contact us: roscon-2019-oc@openrobotics.org

How to apply

To apply, fill out this form by June 2nd 2019, describing how you are involved with ROS and the robotics community, and what you hope to get out of attending ROSCon. Scholarships will be awarded based on a combination of need and impact. Every applicant will be notified of the outcome of their application.

For more information about ROSCon 2019, including the program, code of conduct, and childcare options, please see http://roscon.ros.org/2019.

Thank you to the conference Platinum Sponsor, Amazon, and to our Gold Sponsors: Acutronic Robotics, ADLINK, Apex.AI, ClearPath Robotics, EProsima, Fetch Robotics, iRobot, Microsoft, Silexica, Rapyuta Robotics, ROBOTIS, Tier IV, Toyota Research Institute, and Ubuntu.

Posts: 1

Participants: 1

Read full topic

by @chapulina chapulina on April 22, 2019 11:57 PM

ROSCon 2019: Call for Workshop Proposals

@DLu wrote:

ROSCon is expanding! In past years, members of the community could propose only talks. This year, we are extending the conference format so that you can submit:

  • Talks - As in previous years, the standard presentation format will be a talk, with the presenter(s) talking live in front of slides/video, with a brief question period at the end, fitting into a 10, 20 or 30 minute time slot.
  • Videos - One new format is the video presentation, with up to 2 minutes of self-contained audio-visual content, featured alongside the talks in the program. Videos will be presented without live narration or Q/A afterward.
  • Workshops - Also new this year are workshops, in which the presenter(s) will provide a hand-on in-depth look at a particular topic in a more interactive format, over the course of up to 3 hours.

This year’s ROSCon will also include invited panels and keynote speakers.

Today we are opening submissions for workshops. Please submit your workshop proposals here, no later than May 22nd, 2019.

We cannot offer content that is not proposed! If there is a topic on which you would like to present, please propose it. If you have an idea for an important topic that you do not want to present yourself, please post it for discussion here on Discourse.

General Content Guidelines:

All topics related to ROS are invited. Example topics include:

  • New packages / frameworks
  • Insights / improvements for existing packages
  • Case studies on unique ROS deployments / use cases
  • Developments for specific robots, sensors, platforms
  • Competitions / collaborations / initiatives
  • ROS in commercial / research / teaching environments
  • Standards / best practices / development tools

To get an idea of the content and tone of ROSCon, check out the slides and videos from previous years.

Review Criteria

All submissions will be reviewed by the program committee to evaluate:

  • Relevance to the ROS Community - The proposed content should use ROS in a substantial way, but beyond that, the work must also be relevant and compelling to a general ROS audience. Writing a ROS driver for a specific piece of hardware is an excellent contribution to the community, but describing the intricacies of its firmware may not be relevant to this audience. Furthermore, content should be relevant to a global and diverse community.
  • Quality of Content/Impact - We encourage proposals to contain big ideas with high impact. It is preferable that proposals have a demonstrable quality as opposed to being purely theoretical.
  • Quality of Presentation - Articulating your ideas clearly and grammatically is a key prerequisite for giving a compelling live presentation.
  • Originality/Novelty - Content should be original and not something that has already been heard before. Will this be the 40th talk on a particular topic at ROSCon? Or are you presenting something new?
  • Open Source Availability - Because we are an open-source community, proposals for which the underlying code and other content is available under an open source license have a greater chance of being accepted. It is not a hard requirement, but proposals focused on proprietary systems should contribute in some other way to the community. Promises of future release are difficult to evaluate, so having your content released at the time of proposal submission is preferred.

Additional consideration will be given to balancing the subject matter and duration of presentation.

We encourage proposals from presenters of all backgrounds and experience levels.

If you have any questions about whether your subject matter is appropriate, feel free to post on Discourse or contact the ROSCon 2019 Organizing Committee at roscon-2019-oc-full@openrobotics.org.

Workshop Submission Information

Workshop proposals must include

  • Title (maximum 70 characters)
  • Presenter(s) (name and affiliation)
  • Summary - for public consumption, used in the program schedule (maximum 100 words)
  • Description - outline and goals, for review by the program committee. Describe the intended audience and what resources (if any) would be required. Please be sure to include enough information in your proposal for the program committee to evaluate the above review criteria.

Accepted presenters will be required to provide their materials 5 weeks before ROSCon for content review to ensure the quality of the event. Content that does not pass review may be removed from the schedule at the discretion of the program committee.

Deadlines

Submit your workshop proposal by May 22, 2019 here.

The opening of submissions for talks and for videos will announced separately.

David Lu!! (Locus Robotics)
Melonee Wise (Fetch Robotics)
Program Co-Chairs

Posts: 4

Participants: 4

Read full topic

by @DLu David!! on April 22, 2019 11:46 PM

April 19, 2019
TSC Meeting Minutes 2019-04-18

@gerkey wrote:

ROS 2 TSC Meeting Minutes: 18 April 2019

  • Attendees:
    • Allison Thackston (TRI)
    • Brian Gerkey (Open Robotics)
    • Brian Shin (LG Electronics)
    • Dejan Pangercic (Apex.AI)
    • Dirk Thomas (Open Robotics)
    • Filipe Rinaldi (Arm)
    • Geoffrey Biggs (Tier IV)
    • Jaime Martin Losa (eProsima)
    • Jonathon Smereka (TARDEC)
    • Karsten Knese (Bosch)
    • Louise Poubel (Open Robotics)
    • Matthew K Hansen (Intel)
    • Rutvik Hora (Amazon)
    • Seonman Kim (LG Electronics)
    • Tully Foote (Open Robotics)
    • Victor Mayoral Vilches (Acutronic Robotics)
  • Old business:
    • [2 min] [Brian] ROS trademark update
      • Brian providing usage specimens to lawyers for filing.
      • TSC: volunteers to form small group to work on usage policy?
        • Geoff
        • Jaime
        • Brian
    • [2 min] [Brian] Elevator pitch
      • Brian iterating on draft with layout designer. Should have something ready in the next week or so.
        • Brian to integrate links (comment from Matt H.)
    • [2 min] [Brian] TSC content in ROS 2 docs
    • [2 min] [Dirk] Transition plan from waffle.io
      • waffle.io shuts down May 16 (https://waffle.io/)
        • Want public state to determine the status of the board.
        • Also want multiple organizations in a single board, but might not be achievable.
  • New business:
    • Working group document storage and communication channel
      • We’ll continue a thread in Discourse, tentatively looking at adding discourse categories to collect working groups in a hierarchy.
    • [2 min] [Brian] Open Robotics hiring Evangelist
    • [15 min] [Brian] Dashing release communication plan
      • Planned Support Cycle:
        • LTS: 2 years
      • Features: need to accumulate key feature list
        • Google doc for commenting open to everyone
        • Brian to set that up
      • Demos: who has demos to include?
        • Several TSC members planning to include demos, aiming for screenshots, videos, narrative text, and/or tutorials describing how to replicate the work.
        • Demos from outside the TSC also welcome!
  • Standing updates:
    • [15 min] [All] Release planning - dashing update:
      • Apex.AI
      • Acutronic Robotics
      • Bosch
        • Ongoing work with diagnostics. Waiting for PRs to be merged.
        • Preparing buildfarm CI job to build rosbag2.
      • Amazon
        • QoS PRs in progress. Working end to end with RTI & OpenSplice
        • Testing in progress against FastRTPS v1.8 that supports these QoS
        • Security threat model is merged. Contributions from Acutronic for MARA
        • ASAN/TSAN jobs are running. Our team is working on stack ranking and fixing issues.
      • eProsima
        • Deadline, lifespan, and liveliness QoS Supported on Fast RTPS 1.8
        • Static Memory allocations. It is a WIP, but discovery allocations will be all static in Fast RTPS 1.8, and many others.
      • Open Robotics
        • IDL support landed
          • 3rdparty generators need updates
          • Rospy generated content now leverages numpy might be API changes
        • Intraprocess efficiency/performance improvements
        • C++ API for composable nodes
        • Launch support for loadable components
        • New generation of Launch API
        • Read Only Parameters
        • XML frontend for Launch(might fall back)
        • Range support for Parameters, in process by at risk for feature freeze deadline.
        • Fixed rclpy memory leak, expect backport
        • rosbridge_suite port is ongoing
        • Infrastructure and CI jobs improvements
        • Support for generating RPM spec files expected
      • LG Electronics
        • In Progress: OpenEmbedded Platform support
        • Merged PRs to rosdep and rospkg that were needed for OpenEmbedded
        • Submitted PR for superflore upstream, under review
        • Have reference HW demo on Raspberry Pi 3 with set of Crystal packages using superflore automatically generated recipes
        • Working on extended Crystal package support (currently 275 packages)
        • Will build Dashing packages now that Dashing distribution index has been released
      • Microsoft
        • Working with Open Robotics on ROS 2 release logistics for the Windows side, including how to host chocolatey packages, ROS bridge and vcpkg integration.
        • Stood up a colcon build on Azure DevOps
        • We’re going to add an installer to rosdeps so that when a chocolatey package is not available, rosdep will consult vcpkg to see if a recipe is available and offer to download, build and install.
        • Working on a vcpkg feature to export chocolatey packages
    • Working groups:
      • [5 min] [Matt H] Navigation
        • Added Obstacle Layer - still doing some tuning
        • Converting nodes to lifecycle nodes, for improved bring up / shutdown reliability - in code review
        • Converting to using Actions across the stack
        • Adding recovery behaviors via behavior tree
        • Adding parallel planning
        • Moving to using BehaviorTree_CPP v3.0
        • Support integration of system test into ROS2 build farm? (need to discuss)
      • [5 min] [Rutvik] Security
        • Threat Model is merged, Turtlebot and MARA models
        • Setting a 2 week cadence for ongoing meetings
      • [5 min] [Dejan] Real-time and safety
      • [5 min] [Karsten] Embedded
        • No updates as for now. Preliminary work has to be done before the next meeting, presumingly in May.
      • [5 min] [Víctor] Motion planning WG Suggestion
        • Discussion of plans and planned actions, input from TSC
    • Late new business:
      • [Rutvik] armhf (32-bit ARM) support
        • Seeing demand for armhf
        • Looking to improve the toolchain
        • ARM interested in supporting this
        • Also of interest to Apex to avoid requiring hardware, all platforms are arm based
        • Target Tier 3 to start, want to push it up to at least Tier 2
      • [Brian Shin] Definition and requirements for new platform support
        • Rep-2000: http://www.ros.org/reps/rep-2000.html
        • OpenEmbedded as Tier 3 platform
          • Would like more definitions for what the requirements are for the tiers.
          • A process for being selected/supported would be valuable
      • [Karsten] State of real time within ROS 2
        • State of executor
          • How can we approach proposing changes to this?
            • Design Doc or PR proposals are best or go through working doc
        • ROS 2 and Real-time discourse post
      • New TSC member inquiries
        • Looking for ways to engage, how can they get involved? What can we send them? They’re looking for chunks of work to pick up to demonstrate interest.

Posts: 1

Participants: 1

Read full topic

by @gerkey gerkey on April 19, 2019 11:04 PM

New Packages for Lunar 2019-04-19

@clalancette wrote:

We’re happy to announce the next update for ROS Lunar. We have 43 new packages as well as 34 updated packages.

As a reminder, approximately one month from now Lunar will go out of support. We’ll do at least one more sync before then, but if you are currently using Lunar it is a good time to start transitioning to Melodic.

Thanks to all of the maintainers and contributors who help make these updates possible!

Full details are below.

Package Updates for lunar

Added Packages [43]:

Updated Packages [34]:

Removed Packages [0]:

Thanks to all ROS maintainers who make packages available to the ROS community. The above list of packages was made possible by the work of the following maintainers:

  • Alexander W. Winkler
  • Austin Hendrix
  • AutonomouStuff Software Development Team
  • Carnegie Robotics
  • Chad Rockey
  • Davide Faconti
  • Devon Ash
  • Fabien Spindler
  • Luiz Ricardo Douat
  • Maintained by Carnegie Robotics LLC
  • Musa Morena Marcusso Manhaes
  • Philipp Schillinger
  • ROS Orphaned Package Maintainers
  • Vladimir Ermakov
  • William Woodall

Posts: 1

Participants: 1

Read full topic

by @clalancette Chris on April 19, 2019 12:38 PM

April 18, 2019
What Took Place at the ROS-I Consortium Americas 2019 Annual Meeting

After the Automate 2019 Exhibition and Conference the ROS-Industrial Consortium Americas held their 2019 Annual Meeting in Chicago, Illinois, on April 12. This is the primary face-to-face opportunity for the Americas membership, whom have expressed interest in leveraging ROS and additional open-source solutions, in industrial and manufacturing applications. This event has proven to be a great opportunity to engage with end-users, OEMs, solution providers and researchers on open source, interoperable, agile software capabilities.

As has been the custom when held in Chicago following Automate, the meeting was confined to a single day. This led to a packed agenda with attendance at a record for the co-located variant of the Americas Annual Meeting. As was stated in this year’s program, “As evidenced by the activity and the sheer number of entrants into the order fulfillment/warehouse and logistics space, this area has proven that ROS-based solutions can survive and even thrive in manufacturing environments where uptime and reliability of performance are critical.” The day that followed demonstrated that there is both interesting and tangible activity as well as plenty of opportunity to continue to innovate while leveraging open source to step-change how innovation in industrial automation takes place.

The day kicked off with strategic and technical updates from each ROS-Industrial region. The Americas Consortium reviewed their “roadmapping” effort with an emphasis on managing the transition from ROS to ROS2. Levi Armstrong shared technical developments, including a summary of Industrial YAK, a TSDF-based reconstruction package, and an approach to enable the ability for ROS-I to support ROS and ROS2 applications moving forward.

Full House for 2019 ROS-I Americas Annual Meeting

Full House for 2019 ROS-I Americas Annual Meeting

The EU Consortium was able to highlight evolutions for the progress of open source and ROS in industry. This followed with a ROSin program update for the Americas audience. Asia-Pacific discussed some of his team’s work around Dynamic Grasping and a Singapore-funded initiative “ROS-based National Healthcare Project” that will be open-source, expanding application of ROS in an IoT use case.

A follow-up roadmapping workshop was held, seeking to collect feedback on technical needs and gaps, programmatic gaps, what is working, and what application areas are the greatest needs. The intent is to gather feedback to continue to ensure a solid roadmap, both for the transition and/or incorporation of ROS2 and other open-source capabilities, and ensuring that FTP topics are aligned with the demands of the membership and Industrial community.

20190412_093843.jpg
20190412_093846.jpg
20190412_093858.jpg
IMG-20190412-WA0000.jpg
IMG-20190412-WA0001.jpg

This followed with an overview by Dr. John Wen of Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute on Robotic Assembly of Large Structures using Vision and Force Guidance. This work was a product of the ARM Institute’s Quick Start Technology Projects. The work shows the ability to realize millimeter assembly performance leveraging tools such as ABB’s External Guided Motion Interface along with visual servoing techniques.

Dr. Eugen Solowjow presented compelling work that sought to leverage Artificial Intelligence techniques to enable robot learning for path planning to perform assembly and placement tasks. This highlighted a gap in the ROS ecosystem relative to advanced AI frameworks and the inability of ROS to interoperate with these tools at this time.

We were then able to welcome keynote speaker Chris Morgan, chief innovation officer of Bastian Solutions, a Toyota Advanced Logistics company. He talked about how ROS enables a one-stop shop, if you will, to enable his team to innovate rapidly to come up with the next generation of warehouse automation technologies, including mobile robotics.

Ahead of the presentation portion for the afternoon, members presented and discussed Focused Technical Project (FTP) topics. This was followed by, Fred Proctor, National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST), Group Leader of the Networked Control Systems Group sharing with the membership developments of techniques to assess robotic system performance relative to agility, and how there is a need to enable common language as robotics capabilities advance.

20190412_121509.jpg
IMG_20190418_123026.jpg
IMG_20190418_123031.jpg
IMG_20190418_123036.jpg
IMG_20190418_123042.jpg

Vincent Tam of Microsoft’s Windows 10 IoT team presented updates relative to Microsoft’s Kinect and the tools to enable rich application development within the Windows and Auzure ecosystems.

A panel session titled “Is ROS2 Ready for the Factory Floor?” featured Chris Lalancette of Open Robotics, Dave Coleman of PickNik and MoveIt!, Matthew Hansen of Intel, and Jerry Towler of Southwest Research Institute’s Unmanned Ground Systems Group. They discussed ROS2 experiences and some of the challenges related to its broader adoption. The discussion, moderated by SwRI and ROS-I Americas tech lead Levi Armstrong, covered university uptake of ROS2 versus ROS, why industry is pulling for ROS2 and techniques for managing this transition period, as well as guidance or tips for leveraging ROS2 when starting from scratch or if you have an existing ROS code base. The audience exhibited passion while engaging in a lively conversation that added additional context to publications or word of mouth that have framed the state of ROS2 at this point.

ROS2 Panel on Readiness for the Factory Floor

ROS2 Panel on Readiness for the Factory Floor

The afternoon session concluded with an introduction by Tormach CEO Daniel Rogge on their work seeking to create a ROS package for the MachineKit component HAL, the Hardware Abstraction Layer, and described what this enables. This was followed by an OEM partnership highlight that served as an example of how Yaskawa enables advanced applications by supporting up-and-coming companies with compelling new ideas; in this case, Path Robotics spoke to the membership about their vision to change how robotic arc welding is deployed for small and medium manufacturers.

20190412_133038.jpg
IMG_20190418_122942.jpg
IMG_20190418_122949.jpg
IMG_20190418_122955.jpg

The day concluded with a presentation by Dr. Mitch Pryor and the work his team at the University of Texas at Austin Nuclear Robotics Group is doing to reduce operator burden and enabling richer leverage of advanced robotics that in certain cases lead to improved worker satisfaction and overall performance improvements compared to legacy tele operation applications.

It was a full day, after a full week, but we were thankful to the attendees, and all the members who came in person and engaged via the online streaming of the event. For members, all the presentations and the recordings of the presentations and panel will be made available via the member portal. Moving forward, the ROS-Industrial Consortia globally will seek to bring back the ROS-Industrial Community meeting, a quarterly update that was a more meaningful means to maintain engagement throughout the year across the regional Consortia. The hope here is to optimize programs such as ROSin, and to provide two-way communication channels for these projects/funding sources beyond their core audience, and to enable a checkpoint to ensure that strategically ROS-Industrial as a project is synchronized and each dollar that is put towards ROS-Industrial is most effectively utilized.

Global ROS-I Team from Left to Right - Levi Armstrong (SwRI), Erik Unemyr (ROS-I AP), Chris Bang (SwRI), Thilo Zimmerman (Fraunhofer IPA), Paul Evans (SwRI), Mirko Bordignon (Fraunhofer IPA), and Matt Robinson (SwRI)

Global ROS-I Team from Left to Right - Levi Armstrong (SwRI), Erik Unemyr (ROS-I AP), Chris Bang (SwRI), Thilo Zimmerman (Fraunhofer IPA), Paul Evans (SwRI), Mirko Bordignon (Fraunhofer IPA), and Matt Robinson (SwRI)

We look forward to continued action that stems from this event, and all the events we have in the coming months. ROS-Industrial Asia-Pacific will have its annual workshop June 18-20 in Singapore, and World ROS-I Day, our annual “house cleaning” on the code itself, is tentatively schedule for the last week in June.

Thanks to all those that engaged with the ROS-Industrial Global team the entire week, including the Annual Meeting. Without your support, open-source for industry would just be a tag line, but as evidenced by the progress to date, it is a reality.

by Matthew Robinson on April 18, 2019 05:52 PM

April 17, 2019
ROS 2 E Name Brainstorming

@mjcarroll wrote:

ROS 2 Dashing Diademata will be released soon. That means it’s time to start brainstorming the following ROS 2 release: E Turtle.

Existing ROS 2 names and codenames:

  • Ardent Apalone - ardent
  • Bouncy Bolson - bouncy
  • Crystal Clemmys - crystal
  • Dashing Diademata - dashing

Existing ROS 1 names and codenames:

  • Boxturtle - boxturtle
  • C Turtle - cturtle
  • Diamondback - diamondback
  • Electric Emys - electric
  • Fuerte - fuerte
  • Groovy Galapagos - groovy
  • Hydro Medusa - hydro
  • Indigo Igloo - indigo
  • Jade Turtle - jade
  • Kinetic Kame - kinetic
  • Lunar Loggerhead - lunar
  • Melodic Morenia - melodic
  • Noetic Ninjemys - noetic

Here are some links to turtle species to get us started.
http://www.chelonia.org/byspecies.htm#E
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Turtle_genera
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Prehistoric_turtle_genera

Please share your suggestions and comments.

There are no rules to this process so be creative.

Posts: 21

Participants: 19

Read full topic

by @mjcarroll Michael Carroll on April 17, 2019 10:28 PM

Survey on Pull Requests assessment practice

@Alami wrote:

Dear ROS community,

We’re conducting a survey on pull request (PR) assessment practices in open source communities (including ROS). The aim of the survey is to understand how PRs are evaluated. What are the principles used in judging PRs? What is the contributor’s and maintainer’s attitude during the evaluation? etc.

We’re targeting various open source communities in this survey. It would be interesting to understand how ROS PR assessment works compared to other communities.

I’ll share the results as soon as they become available. Please, participate so we can have a significant number of participants. Survey link.

Many thanks
Adam

Posts: 2

Participants: 1

Read full topic

by @Alami Adam Alami on April 17, 2019 06:07 AM

April 16, 2019
play back rosbags

@rayzhu wrote:

Hi all,

I’m trying to understand how ppl use rosbags for testing today, would really appreciate if you can share some insights:

What are the typically useful test cases when playing a rosbag back against ROS nodes? Like testing perception or path planning?
How long do these tests typically last? like a few minutes or hours?
How many of these play backs do you run concurrently? I can see a case where there are different input bags for testing a particular function.
Do you typically use tools like rviz or command line to inspect the topics when the play back happens?
Other than playing back rosbags against ROS nodes, what are the other tools you use to analyze the recorded bags?

Posts: 1

Participants: 1

Read full topic

by @rayzhu on April 16, 2019 08:12 PM

How to create gazebo robot module by using solidWorks SW2URDF

@ugluo wrote:

Hi ,
I’m use solidworks 2017 creating urdf robot description ,generate the links moment of Intetia so small, causing the gazebo ignore it.
What version of SolidWorks should we choose?
I have seen the meshlab can also generate Intetia but my robot have more than twenty joints
reference http://gazebosim.org/tutorials?tut=inertia
The ‘mesh_cleaner’ Tool always report error,i don’t know how to use it
reference mesh_cleaner

I’m using ubuntu 16.04 and kinetic ROS

thanks !

Posts: 2

Participants: 2

Read full topic

by @ugluo luozhixiang on April 16, 2019 08:34 AM

Looking for Kobuki power supply / battery charger

@mkhansen wrote:

I have a Turtlebot2 / Kobuki base but no charger for it. I’ve searched online and can’t seem to find any for sale anywhere. If anyone has a link to where I might purchase one, I’d appreciate it.

Thanks.

Posts: 3

Participants: 2

Read full topic

by @mkhansen Matt Hansen on April 16, 2019 12:00 AM

April 15, 2019
OpenManipulator

@Lloyd wrote:

The Manipulator is dead as the dynamixel-workbench will no longer compile. I wish to alert Robotis that someone is breaking there code by accident or a software attack of some sort?

Posts: 7

Participants: 3

Read full topic

by @Lloyd on April 15, 2019 03:38 PM

April 12, 2019
Congrats for ROS compatibility

@Willy_Lambert wrote:

Hi all,

I just wanted to congrat the whole ROS community as we successfully made an old ROS electric SW to communicate with a new ROS kinetic one out of the box (6 version ahead).

That’s a huge thumb up for retro-compatibility management !

Sorry for the spam if it’s not the right place, there should be no harm to congrat publicly ^^.

Posts: 2

Participants: 2

Read full topic

by @Willy_Lambert Willy Lambert on April 12, 2019 09:55 PM

April 10, 2019
[meetings] 2nd Call for tutorials - Second ROS Developers Conference 2019

@Maricho_CM wrote:


#ROSDevCon19

  • The proposals must be sent to this address: tutorial@rosdevcon.com
  • Submission deadline: April 30, 2019
  • The tutorial should last 30 mins + 10 mins Q&A

Tutorials can target any field of ROS or ROS2 and should focus on practice, in order to provide a real practical conference for participants and to exchange results and ideas. The submission of a tutorial must contain the following information:

  • Title
  • Speaker Information
  • A short statement of objectives
  • Special requests (equipment or other issues)

If your tutorial is accepted, you will have to prepare a ROSject containing the following material (with our support):

  • A notebook with the tutorial
  • Package with pre-defined code for participants

[ ORGANIZERS ]

The Construct (http://www.theconstructsim.com/)
You can contact us with questions and doubts here: info@rosdevcon.com

Posts: 1

Participants: 1

Read full topic

by @Maricho_CM Marisol Cm on April 10, 2019 07:28 PM

April 09, 2019
ROS usage survey

@pdutta wrote:

Hello ROS users,

We would like to get an idea of how you are currently using ROS1-Melodic/ROS2, or how you plan on using it in the future. If you could fill out this short survey, it would help us make decisions on investing in supporting ROS1-Melodic in AWS Robomaker. We will leave the survey open for 2 weeks, until April 23, 2019, and post the anonymized results shortly after that.

Thank You!
AWS Robomaker Team

Posts: 5

Participants: 4

Read full topic

by @pdutta on April 09, 2019 04:02 PM

April 08, 2019
Patch release and new packages for ROS 2 Crystal Clemmys 2019-04-08

@nuclearsandwich wrote:

The new release of ROS 2 Crystal Clemmys is here!

This release includes an update to the default RMW provider, Fast-RTPS, along with improvements to launch, rclpy, and rmw_fastrtps. As always you can read the full details on the tracking issue for this release.

With the upgrade to Fast-RTPS, macOS users no longer need to use the tinyxml2@6.2.0 package from the osrf/homebrew-simulation tap. The installation instructions are being updated in ros2/ros2_documentation#162.

Package Updates for crystal

Note that package counts include dbgsym packages which have been filtered out from the list below

Added Packages [4]:

  • ros-crystal-system-modes: 0.1.2-0
  • ros-crystal-system-modes-examples: 0.1.2-0

Updated Packages [25]:

  • ros-crystal-depthimage-to-laserscan: 2.2.0-0 -> 2.2.1-0
  • ros-crystal-fastrtps: 1.7.0-0 -> 1.7.2-0
  • ros-crystal-launch: 0.7.3-0 -> 0.7.4-0
  • ros-crystal-launch-ros: 0.7.3-0 -> 0.7.4-0
  • ros-crystal-launch-testing: 0.7.3-0 -> 0.7.4-0
  • ros-crystal-py-trees: 1.0.0-0 -> 1.1.0-0
  • ros-crystal-py-trees-ros-interfaces: 1.0.0-0 -> 1.1.0-0
  • ros-crystal-rclcpp: 0.6.3-0 -> 0.6.4-0
  • ros-crystal-rclcpp-action: 0.6.3-0 -> 0.6.4-0
  • ros-crystal-rclcpp-lifecycle: 0.6.3-0 -> 0.6.4-0
  • ros-crystal-rclpy: 0.6.3-1 -> 0.6.4-0
  • ros-crystal-rmw-fastrtps-cpp: 0.6.1-0 -> 0.6.2-0
  • ros-crystal-rmw-fastrtps-dynamic-cpp: 0.6.1-0 -> 0.6.2-0
  • ros-crystal-rmw-fastrtps-shared-cpp: 0.6.1-0 -> 0.6.2-0
  • ros-crystal-ros2launch: 0.7.3-0 -> 0.7.4-0

Removed Packages [2]:

  • ros-crystal-py-trees-msgs

Thanks to all ROS maintainers who make packages available to the ROS community. The above list of packages was made possible by the work of the following maintainers:

  • Arne Nordmann
  • Chris Lalancette
  • Daniel Stonier
  • Dirk Thomas
  • Karsten Knese
  • Steven! Ragnarök
  • William Woodall

Posts: 1

Participants: 1

Read full topic

by @nuclearsandwich Steven! Ragnarök on April 08, 2019 10:44 PM

SwRI Presents at America Makes TRX

Southwest Research Institute had the pleasure of hosting the America Makes TRX conference here in San Antonio Texas for two days in March to discuss the latest up and comings of additive manufacturing and its technologies. ROS Industrial made a cameo in the lineup on Thursday the 21st where I gave my presentation, Open Source Developments Impacting the Industrial Automation Space & Their Relevance to Additive Processing. The talk focused on the synergies between additive manufacturing and ROS.

I present on the synergies between ROS and additive Manufacturing

I present on the synergies between ROS and additive Manufacturing

Boasting over 100 attendees, TRX was the first America Makes held at the Institute and – for many – their first introduction to ROS and the robotic capabilities available to the additive manufacturing community. Additive manufacturing focuses primarily on the metallurgical problems associated with lamentation and homogenous particulate bonding with significant research focus on the optimization of material properties and subsequent process ills such as wavy depositions or stress localizations and predictions from discrete inspections. The introduction or ROS capabilities surrounding laser inspections and blending were of strong interest to several groups and attendees.

Follow up tours were held of the Southwest Research Institute labs that are leveraged for ROS-Industrial application development. Here follow up conversations, and tangible examples relative to the additive process through the complete value stream were discussed. This included more effective ways to do post-processing, alternate applications of on the fly material deposition, and material removal, as well as the ability to resolve build errors that could occur during large format printing operations.

Ben Greenberg gives a demo of SwRI’s Visual Programming IR&D.

Ben Greenberg gives a demo of SwRI’s Visual Programming IR&D.

Special thanks to Carl Popelar and Division 18 for his efforts in organizing the America Makes Technology Exchange and all supporting SwRI staff.

by Ryan Howard on April 08, 2019 04:25 PM

ROS @ Jupyter

@lentinjoseph wrote:

Posts: 4

Participants: 3

Read full topic

by @lentinjoseph Lentin Joseph on April 08, 2019 06:40 AM

April 05, 2019
Self-driving Moving Hackathon For ROS Engineers and Hackers

@PIX_Moving wrote:


Theme
Self-driving Moving Hackathon For ROS Engineers and Hackers

Key Words
Hackathon/ Engineering/ Challenge/ Meetup

What’s In There

  • First-hand Experiences On Real Self-driving Cars
    (Get your hands on real self-driving cars and verify your algorithms while the car driving by itself)

  • Software Deployment
    (Experience the full software stack based on the self-driving framework to finish the challenges)

  • Mentorship and Guidance
    (Experienced hardware and software engineers at PIX to provide onsite mentorship and assistance)

  • Igniting Engineering Spirit
    (Challenge yourself and finish the meaningful adventure through collaboration)

  • Global Engineer Meetup
    (Meet with global self-driving engineers to network, connect, beer and make friends)

  • Sharing and Spreading Insights
    (Fireside chats and presentations to share opinions and spread thoughts)

  • Hackathon Bonus: Udacity Courses
    (Get Udacity course and Onsite Self-driving Training for free)

Why The Hackathon

Moving Hackathon provides car platforms equipped with computing abilities, sensors, drive-by-wire control and other hardware support, also closed urban roads to test and challenge for global self-driving engineers, who can stay focused on algorithms/software design, optimization and development without worrying about car/hardware to test.

Moving Hackathon is a self-driving global meetup with two onsite participating categories: Full-sized Self-driving Car Onsite Challenge and Small-Sized Self-driving Car Onsite Challenge. With sparking spirit of engineering and technology innovation as the aim, Moving Hackathon is meant to facilitate the mutual growth and inspiration among self-driving startups, engineers, developers and enthusiasts worldwide, lowering the entry barrier of self-driving for common developers.


Where
Technology and science industrial park, Guiyang, Guizhou, China

When
Full-sized Self-driving Car Onsite Challenge: May 22-27, 2019
Small-sized Self-driving Car Onsite Challenge: May 25-27, 2019

In the hackathon approach, Moving Hackathon continues to facilitate the intelligent transformation of traditional vehicles, and every Hackathon would ignite an engineer party with the spirit of engineering challenge. Lit with a sense of technology punk and technology democratization, Moving Hackathon nurtures iteration and innovation from the bottom up. More details can be found here

We’ll make full arrangement for the development components & accessories stuff, also free accommodation & foods, and reimbursement for flights. Check out Moving Hackathon FAQ here https://www.pixmoving.com/movinghackathon

Surprise and prize for Moving Hackathon participants!
Contact: Email to nancy@pixmoving.com or call at 0086.18111991219 for any questions or concerns

Apply Moving Hackathon here

Posts: 1

Participants: 1

Read full topic

by @PIX_Moving Nancy Lee on April 05, 2019 08:48 AM

New Packages for Kinetic 2019-04-04

@tfoote wrote:

We’re happy to announce 34 new packages and 61 updated packages for Kinetic!

Thank you to all the maintainers and contributors who have helped make these packages available to the community!

Details are below.

Package Updates for kinetic

Added Packages [34]:

Updated Packages [61]:

Removed Packages [0]:

Thanks to all ROS maintainers who make packages available to the ROS community. The above list of packages was made possible by the work of the following maintainers:

  • AWS RoboMaker
  • Abraham Monrroy
  • Alex Moriarty
  • Alexander Carballo
  • Alexander Gutenkunst
  • AutonomouStuff Software Development Team
  • Bence Magyar
  • Daniel Stonier
  • Dave Feil-Seifer
  • David Feil-Seifer
  • Davide Faconti
  • Devon Ash
  • G.A. vd. Hoorn (TU Delft Robotics Institute)
  • Hans-Joachim Krauch
  • Hilario Tome
  • Isaac I.Y. Saito
  • MoveIt Setup Assistant
  • P. J. Reed
  • Paul Bovbel
  • RDaneelOlivaw
  • Rein Appeldoorn
  • Russell Toris
  • Tony Baltovski
  • matsui_hiro
  • nakamichi_d

Posts: 1

Participants: 1

Read full topic

by @tfoote Tully Foote on April 05, 2019 08:48 AM

New Packages for Indigo 2019-04-04

@tfoote wrote:

We’re happy to announce another update for Indigo Igloo. This includes 3 new packages and 12 updated packages.

Thank you to the maintainers and contributors who have helped make these updates available to the community.

Full details are below.

Package Updates for indigo

Added Packages [3]:

Updated Packages [12]:

Removed Packages [0]:

Thanks to all ROS maintainers who make packages available to the ROS community. The above list of packages was made possible by the work of the following maintainers:

  • Alex Moriarty
  • P. J. Reed
  • RDaneelOlivaw
  • Russell Toris

Posts: 1

Participants: 1

Read full topic

by @tfoote Tully Foote on April 05, 2019 01:52 AM


Powered by the awesome: Planet